get social

          

Friday, 19 August 2016

PRETTY52 | 26 PIECES OF ADVICE FOR MY YOUNGER SELF




Feature Image




'So no one told you life was gonna be this way...cha cha cha cha cha.'

We all know the Friends' theme song off by heart, and I'm pretty sure we can all relate to it some way or another. The truth is that we don't know what obstacles life will throw at us, nor do we know how to overcome them. Let's be honest, we'd all be living the Kardashian lifestyle if we did. But it's all part of life.

We asked you what pieces of advice you wish you could go back and tell your younger self, and you shared  real and honest lessons that you would give to their younger selves.From career guidance to love and friendship: it is clear to see there are many things we wish we had known in our past, but also reflections of how proud we are of ourselves today.






"The one thing that really sticks out is that I wish I stood up for myself, I was incredibly shy and people took advantage of that, and walked all over me. Some were just down right nasty. Never let anyone treat you badly, you're worth so much more than that."
- Nicole, 21


"I would teach myself how to properly straighten my hair (leaving a big flick on one side is not a good look, trust me!) Oh, and to buy the correct shade of foundation."
- Hannah, 21



"To study hard and to think about your career"
- Jackie, 51


"I'd tell myself not to worry so much. Don't worry about not achieving everything by a set age, don't get caught up in the pressures of others & 100% do not worry constantly about what other people think of you. Everything you plan for isn't set in stone. I'm 33 and I'm still not where I want to be, or where I thought I'd be, in life. I think I'd have liked to have been more carefree & spontaneous when I was younger!"
- Gillian, 33






"If there is one piece of advice I could give, this relates to life in general, is to never, ever sell yourself short. This applies to education, career prospects and most def MEN!"
- Vanda, 68


"I'd love to tell my younger self to screw everyone else. These people don't matter and you do! Put yourself first and forget what everyone else says, it doesn't matter!"
- Shannon, 20


"I would warn myself that I shouldn't get so wrapped up in video games. You'll be less sociable and become very lazy. On a happier note I'd say that you will be very happy in a great relationship, so don't worry about being rejected and get worked up that things don't go well."
- Aston, 20


"Never go on a diet, not to care what you look like or what others think."
- Ruth, 19


"Make sure you tell everyone you love that you love them. Make sure you appreciate them and forgive them when they piss you off or hurt you, because you never know when the last time you will ever get to see or talk to those people again. I would give anything to tell my sister I love her again. I also wish I could tell younger me that plans don't always come together the way you had hoped they would. Life does this thing where it throws unexpected challenges at you and you have to deal with those but don't panic because what's for you won't go by you, you're just taking a detour."
- Jennifer, 21






"Don't settle for the life you've been given, fight for the life you want. I gave up the possibility of my dream profession when I was younger because I was persuaded to. Now I look back and wish I'd fought harder for it because I was so passionate about it. I don't regret much, but I do regret that."

- Stephanie, 42


"Worry less... I've always been a bit of a worrier and perfectionist at every stage in life. I actually would probably say to loosen up. I am lucky I had a great childhood and was really happy so I don't have any huge regrets - except maybe giving up on my piano lessons."
- Madeleine, 28



"If I were to give advice to my younger self, it would be to try your best. If you don't do too well, pick yourself up and dust yourself off. An opportunity will come a knocking eventually, and everything works out. My Gran always said 'what's for you, won't go by you' and I've realised how true it is. School doesn't define you. An A in higher physics doesn't make you the king of the world. Remember everything works out in the end. Remember not to jump in at the deep end with anything, be it school, sports, friends or love. Do everything at your own pace, because your only competition is yourself."
- Ross, 21



"Don't get married before you're 30."
- Tricia, 51 (This advice is from my mum, and I can't tell if it's for her or me...)


"Live life to the fullest; live the life you want to, not one to please other people. Don't bottle up your problems, speak to someone. As they say 'a problem shared is a problem halved. Wear what you want, not what other people say is in fashion. Travel as much as you can and have as much fun as you can. Saying that though, I wouldn't change the life I've lived for anything!"
- Anonymous






"It's ok to say 'No' & stop being a helper/people pleaser to my own detriment (I still struggle with this & wish I HAD been told this!) But also to grab every opportunity with both hands! I would also tell my younger self to make time for people. Take that 5 minutes to chat. You never know when the last time you see somebody will be... I learned that the hard way aged 25 when I was 'too busy' to spend time with a friend who was killed in a car accident a week later. I am now 41 & have not been 'too busy' for anyone for 16 years. I feel good about that."
- Wendy, 41



"I'd tell myself to stick in at school."
- Emma, 26


"Never chase a guy, whether in a relationship or trying to pin him down. Respect yourself enough to realise when someone isn't treating you right and if they don't from the start, that's unlikely to change."
- Laura,


"Don't be so afraid of change, of moving onto something new. Try taking a leap and see where you land and if you don't land in the best place for you, take a step back and try something else. The older you get, the harder it gets to make enormous life changes, such as moving to a new city, so while you're young GO FOR IT!"
- Iain

"Stop settling for terrible boys just to say you have a boyfriend! It's not worth it!"
- Sarah-Louise, 26




"Try not to care too much about what other people think of you. So what if they think you're a geek? So what if they make fun of your hair? So what if you don't have the latest technology or fashion accessory. I worked hard at school ... In order to get the job I wanted! I have red hair, and I let people chip away at my self esteem because of it. I wish I'd had the confidence to rock my locks a bit more then! My husband loves every inch of me including my green eyes, my freckles and my wild hair. I wish I had learned to love it earlier!"
- Erin, 29


"Don't wish your life away, enjoy being young and being innocent." - Robyn, 26


"If he's repeatedly performing the same behaviour that you find unacceptable, but expecting different results then drop him now. Life's too short!" 
- Rebecca


"Stop trying to impress everyone else around you. If you don't like wearing make up, you don't have to wear it. If you feel more comfortable in trousers than a skirt, own them! Don't do or say anything you are uncomfortable with, just so you can impress a few folk, who you most likely won't even talk to anymore. I'd also say DO NOT cut your hair short...that hair cut was not a good look."
- Kennagh, 20




"Always listen to your Mum and Dads advice when your young. You don't actually realise that they are making sense and only looking out for you. I would also tell myself to cherish everyone, everything and every moment. Never take people for granted and always remember to smile."
- Lynsey, 28


"Be prepared to find out that sometimes your plans will not turn out the way you’ve expected or imagined them to be in the first place. Life, situations, people, places, experiences can bring you disappointments as much as they can bring you joy. Don’t get mad and work with what you have. If you don’t like it change it, if not, adapt to the situation and make something beautiful from it."
- Maria Denisa


"You are enough as you are- not for what you look like, what qualifications you have or the type of job you have. Comparison is the thief of joy. The self doubt that can often be crushing, doesn't serve you and it doesn't suit you, let the doubts go and believe in yourself beyond reason. You are enough! Dream big, feel the fear and do it anyway... whatever the 'it' is, do it. You'll never know the impact you could have on the world until you do something."
- Gill, 32






Image from: https://uk.pinterest.com/pin/311803974180200609/





If you could go back in time and give your younger self advice, what’s the one thing you’d say?

1 comment:

TEMPLATE DESIGNED BY PRETTYWILDTHINGS